Book Cover Blues: Which is Best?

I posted about book covers last week and how to ensure your book cover is a winning one, bringing you lots and lots of sales....At the end of the post, I uploaded a cover done by a talented designer ABSV, on the basis of one of my paintings. It's a great cover but somehow doesn't fit the book's genre or content. Looks too erotic, steamy and sexy. Here it is for those of you who haven't seen it:


Some people said my name tag was too small, that the type of letters suggested a mystery thriller while the illustration, rather artsy, was still too erotic for what is basically a contemporary novel about Robert, a Baby Boomer and an attractive Frenchman who faces a collapsing marriage when he retires from a successful career in the United Nations. He tries to build a second life as an artist but his conventional paintings irritate his much younger American wife, a wealthy New York socialite who runs a chic contemporary art gallery in Chelsea.They fight over art but what is at stake is their relationship. They separate, he moves to Italy, has a show in Paris and soon sexual adventures complicate his life. Can their marriage survive?

Now, I've mulled over the question, going through dreadful pains and self-questioning, and finally come up with a new cover (still based on one of my own sketches - done for the purpose). Here it is:



The landscape is a simplified rendering of  Umbria, the lake of Trasimeno and the house where the protagonist retreats while his marriage collapses. The hook? Read the book! ...when it comes out next week (will let you know, promise). But I'll give you a hint: the title is the one Robert uses for a weird contemporary art installation he's dreamt up to try and win back his wife. It's a pile of aluminum ladders reaching up to a hook set high above so that it cannot be grabbed even if you stand on top of the tallest ladder, a fitting symbol of the human condition and our desire for transcendance!

Which one do you like best? Here's a poll - please vote and let me know which I should use! Please keep in mind the genre of the book when you assess the covers and do make comments, everyone's opinion is most welcome and most useful!

Which cover do you like best
  
pollcode.com free polls 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

bertcarson said…
I voted for the hook because I think it will sell more books for you. I prefer the nude because I've always preferred nudes over hooks.
I'm anxious to read the book no matter which cover it ends up with.
Thanks Bert for your thoughtful comment, yes, I think I'll go for the hook, but I'll take out all the "kiddy" stuff (the mountains and house and lake) - a pity, I sort of liked it myself, I was inspired by Sempé, you know, the noted French cartoonist, but I guess it makes everyone think this is a Middle Grade book which obviously it's not, it's a BB novel!!
Jack Durish said…
I don't know how the comments in the poll will be related to comments in your blog, so I'm going to repeat myself here to make sure you get the message. (Of course, that presupposes that a man of my age can remember what he just wrote.)

The nude is false advertising. It doesn't relate to the story (at least that's what you tell me). So, I wouldn't use that one.

The illustration of the hook in the sky seems to violate the rule espoused by the designer in the TED presentation that I linked to in my previous comment. Remember, he showed an illustration of an apple and the word "apple." He explained why you should use one or the other, but not both. I agree.
That's interesting, Jack, and I have to think about it...because my title is in fact surrealistic: it's not just an apple, but it's something floating in the sky when it is patently impossible and absurd...So the image, of itself, is arresting. It doesn't work because it echoes and illustrates the title? I'm not so sure, as I said, I need to think about it but I'd love to hear more comments!
Oh, one more thing: the woman in question definitely has a role in the book: she's one of the love stories of the protag - a love story with problems as she is a very disturbed young lady...So yes, to have her on the cover would make sense, and to have her as a painting is exactly what happens in the book: he's a painter and he makes her portrait...nude!
K. Millionaire said…
Hmmm . . . the nude one doesn't seem to match the story. The hilly one looks amateurish. I would probably choose the nude one over the other because it looks more like adult reading rather than a child's book.
Yes, it's definitely adult reading! So far the poll seems to favor the nude, please add your vote too! I'm very grateful for the comments here and also on the poll site. There's NO question that the nude has a direct link to the book: she's into a relationship with the protagonist, she's a difficult (if beautiful) young lady and does something unexpected and spectacular that marks a turning point in the novel...No spoilers, I won't tell you what she does!But yes, she has a right to be on the cover!