Climate Fiction Update, it's Now Eco-Fiction

The thread discussing climate fiction on the top-rated SFF World website is still on-going! If you haven't read it yet, click here to see it. It has now veered to discussing what makes for a good story based on  an eco-fiction premise. And here I thought the thread had been winding down! But it hasn't, you're still in time to join the discussion and post your comment.  I'd even posted this comment that I thought would be my last:

I do hope that one lasting result of this excellent debate on SFFWorld is that we can put to rest the discussion around cli-fi vs. climate fiction vs. eco-fiction! 

I vote for eco-fiction, particularly since it has shown to have proven historical antecedents - wow, back to 1971, as Burt pointed out, and with a string of big names from Asimov to Vonnegut to Steinbeck...That's impressive and yes, I would certainly also sign on to that pitch Burt quotes: 
"Eco-Fiction is a provocative and poignant collection of short stories that issue a plea to each individual to recognize his inevitable place and vital responsibility for the future of man on earth." ​
Indeed, our responsibility "for the future of man on earth" is vital. This is what Mary and Bert do so beautifully: fighting for a better world with "provocative and poignant" stories - they, and all the other authors mentioned in this thread...

By the way, let me close by saying that I am looking forward to Ecotones!

Yes, I do think the debate around what to call a book set in a post-climate change world (or in the midst of the worst of it) has been laid to rest. And I much prefer the discussion around what makes for a good story. I was introduced to a soon-to-be published anthology of eco-fiction, called Ecotones, and I'm looking forward to it.

Here it is on Kickstarter, seeking to gather funds by 1 December:



Hurry if you want to help them! I did, they're half-way there. And you know how Kickstarter works, don't you? If they don't reach their stated goal (in this case £1,000) they don't get the money, Kickstarter cancels the whole campaign and doesn't take any money you have contributed. Here's the message you get once you've paid in:


Nice, isn't it? I hope they make it! These are both talented and dedicated writers, deeply engaged in our future - but then, aren't we all? Aren't we all worried about global warming, pollution, wars, the end of civilization as we know it? Don't we all want to pass onto our children and grandchildren a beautiful and safe and just world?

Bless you all!

Comments